Friday, January 31, 2014

January 2014 Storytime Briefly

This month I looked back at 2013 and realized that I hadn't shared some of my favorites of the year, so I tried to work a couple of storytimes around those.  We also talked about the ALA awards.

We discussed individuality and ideas.  We read
  • No Two Alike by Keith Baker
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever by H. Joseph Hopkins, illustrated by Jill McElmurry
  • Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown
I liked Mr. Tiger Goes Wild when I first read it, but I didn't really appreciate it until I read it to kids.  When I turned to the page where Mr. Tiger has taken all his clothes off, some kids laughed and others gasped--it was quite a satisfying reaction.

We talked about the importance of asking questions.  We read
  • What Do You Do with a Tail Like This? by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page
  • Me . . . Jane by Patrick McDonnell
  • On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein by Jennifer Berne, illustrated by Vladimir Radunsky
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?  by Julie Middleton, illustrated by Russell Ayto
Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad is such a fun book to read aloud.  The pictures have details that are just big enough for kids in a small group to notice.  They especially loved pointing out the dinosaur wearing Dad's hat at the end. (And then, of course, I went back to the title page, so they could take a second look at the exhibit there.)

We talked about the following trickster tales:
  • Bertie Was a Watchdog by Rick Walton, illustrated by Arthur Robins
  • Monkey: A Trickster Tale from India by Gerald McDermott
  • The Race between Toad and Donkey (I told the story)
Why, oh why is Bertie Was a Watchdog out of print?

We talked about the ALA award winners.  Our librarian had shared the titles during library time, so I decided to talk about the Beehive Book Awards--a kids' choice award in Utah.  The students voted on the three books we read.  They were
  • Z Is for Moose by Kelly Bingham, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky
  • My Garden by Kevin Henkes
  • Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino
The kids loved the idea that they could help pick an award winner.  We'll definitely be doing more voting next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment